Seems like lately I have needed to make a bunch of appetizers for one event after another. Meatballs are one of my favorite dishes to make and can be prepared bite size AND in large batches without sauce and frozen for the future.
TROPICAL BBQ MEATBALLS makes 3 dozen 1 inch meatballs
1 cup quick cooking oats
3/4 cup finely minced Vidalia onion
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons half and half
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 cloves garlic, minced
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
3/4 pound lean ground beef
3/4 pound ground pork
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a wire rack and set inside a jelly roll pan.
- Combine the oats, half the onion, half and half, garlic, egg, salt, pepper, chili powder and paprika in a large bowl.
- Crumble the beef over the oats mixture and using your hands, mix well, but with minimal mixing.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on wire rack.
- Bake 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Remove rack from pan.
- Wipe pan dry of any grease.
- Add meatballs back to pan.
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup apricot pineapple preserves
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
2 tablespoons honey
- Combine the ketchup, preserves, brown sugar, liquid smoke and remaining onion in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a SLOW boil.
- Reduce heat, add honey and simmer 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- Drizzle sauce over meatballs and turn to coat.
- Return pan to oven and bake another 15 minutes.
- Arrange on a platter and serve.