Cajun seasoning adds the unique flavor to this meals and provides you with just enough spiciness and bite to make your taste buds stand up and pay attention.
CAJUN CREOLE CHICKEN THIGHS with SLOW COOKED RICE & BEANS
1 can black beans**, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
2 medium tomatoes, rustic chopped
1 red pepper, small chopped
1 shallot, halved and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
3 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon (divided) SLAP YA MAMA cajun spice
2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
1 tablespoon avocado oil
- In a 6 quart slow cooker combine the beans, rice, tomatoes, red pepper, shallot, garlic, parsley, broth and 1 1/2 teaspoons SLAP YA MAMA seasoning until well combined.
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs with the 2 tablespoons SLAP YA MAMA.
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet (preferably cast iron).
- Brown chicken pieces on both sides until golden, about 5 minutes per side.
- Place in slow cooker, skin side up.
- Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours until chicken is cooked through. Rice will be saucy!
**The original recipe calls for a traditional red bean, but I personally HATE red beans and always substitute black beans.