These will soften as time goes on so they are the best served FRESH for crisp bites.
COCOA MERINGUE KISSES
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
PINCH of salt
2 LARGE egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Line heavy baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift together 1/3 cup of the sugar, cocoa and salt into a small mixing bowl.
- Beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar in a chilled metal bowl with chilled beaters until soft peaks begin to form.
- Add remaining sugar a tablespoon at a time until stiff peaks form.
- Add cocoa mixture a tablespoon at a time, beating until meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Drop or pipe meringue onto parchment paper 1 inch apart.
- Bake 25 minutes for softer, chewy cookies. OR Bake 40 minutes for drier, crisper cookies.
- Cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- For a fun little surprise you can press a single peanut butter, butterscoth or chocolate chip into the center of each meringue before baking.
- To make these plain just omit the cocoa.
ALTERNATE BAKING METHOD
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place cookie sheets in oven.
- Turn off oven and leave overnight.
- Dust with powdered sugar.