I found this recipe in Real Food Slow Cooker Suppers: Easy, Family-Friendly Recipes from Scratch By Samantha Skaggs
I love that they start by saying “If you’ve ever visited a certain, large, Swedish, rat-maze-like furniture store”…. Gee I wonder if they mean IKEA LOL 😀 I did adapt it slightly, but the final product is REALLY similar and VERY tasty!
SLOW COOKER SWEDISH MEATBALLS
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup FRESH sourdough bread crumbs
1/2 cup WHOLE milk
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon FRESH ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon FRESH ground sea salt
FRESH ground pepper, to taste
- Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, milk, seasonings, salt and pepper.
- Form ping pong sized meatballs, about 24 of them.
- Arrange meatballs in a couple layers in large slow cooker.
3 cups beef consommé
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon House Seasoning
1/3 cup sour cream
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Whisk together the consomme’, flour, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and house seasoning.
- Pour this over the meatballs evenly.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours until meatballs are cooked through, but still tender.
- Using a slotted spoon remove meatballs to serving platter.
- Skin any fat from the gravy.
- Add sour cream to a small bowl.
- Add a couple spoonfuls of gravy to the sour cream and whisk together. This will temper the sour cream and prevent curdling. Add a few more spoonfuls and keep mixing until completely tempered,
- Add sour cream mixture into gravy, whisking to combine.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Add meatballs back into slow cooker and cook 30 minutes more.
- Serve over prepared egg noodles with lingonberry jam.
Prepared egg noodles
1/4 cup fine sea salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder