FRENCH ONION SMOTHERED CHICKEN adapted from the Chunky Chef serves 4
1 Vidalia onions peeled, cut in half, and sliced into half-moon shaped slices
1 shallot cut in half, and sliced into half-moon shaped slices
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 1/4 cups chicken stock
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1 – 1 ½ inches thick
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
2 ½ tablespoons WONDRA flour
4 slices provolone cheese
1 cup shredded Swiss or gruyere cheese
fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt butter and avocado oil in a large cast iron or other oven safe skillet, over MED-HIGH heat.
- Add sliced onions and shallots, saute’ 3-5 minutes, until soft.
- Add garlic and saute’ another minute until fragrant.
- Add 1/4 cup chicken stock and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes, until onions are extremely tender and golden brown. Whisk together the salt, pepper, dried thyme and garlic powder.
- As onions are sautéing, season both sides of pork chops with seasoning mix.
- Transfer onions to a plate, do not wipe out skillet. Reduce heat to medium, add a drizzle of avocado oil to the skillet if needed, and cook pork chops, about 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Transfer chicken to plate.
- Return cooked onions to pan and sprinkle with flour.
- Stir to coat and cook about a minute.
- Add remaining 1 cup chicken stock and stir often until mixture comes to a boil.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Nestle chicken breasts back into the pan, spooning some of the chicken stock over the tops of the chops.
- Top with a slices of provolone cheese and a 1/4 cup mound of the shredded gruyere on top each chop.
- Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme to the skillet.
- Place skillet in oven and bake 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and gooey and chicken is cooked through.
- Before serving, spoon some of the chicken stock and onion mixture over the top of the cheese.
- Garnish with some additional black pepper if desired.