BACON GRUYERE SMASHED POTATOES serves 4-6
1 LARGE Vidalia onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 1/4 pounds red or white rose potatoes, washed and halved
2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons butter
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon FRESH minced thyme
1/3 cup milk
4 slices bacon, chopped and cooked crisp
1/3 cup grated Gruyere or baby Swiss cheese
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat in a large skillet
- Add onions and generously season with salt and pepper. Cook 8-10 minutes until onions are soft. Reduce heat to medium low and cook an additional 45 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in thyme during the last 5 minutes.
- While onions are caramelizing cook potatoes in salted, boiling water for 20-25 minutes until tender. Drain and add potato pieces to mixing bowl.
- Add milk, remaining butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Coarsely mash potatoes to desired consistency.
- Stir in bacon and onions.
- Top with cheese and let stand covered until cheese melts.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve immediately.