I start the prep for my gravy 2 days before the holiday. I use whatever green veggies I have in my crisper to begin my gravy.
ULTRA CREAMY MASHED POTATOES & FLAVORFUL SCRATCH GRAVY
ULTRA CREAMY MASHED POTATOES
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon FRESH ground sea salt
1/4 teaspoon FRESH ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan add potatoes, chicken broth and enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and cream.
- Add potatoes to bowl and whip until creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Turkey parts from the cavity
4 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large onion (skin on), chopped
1 shallot (skin on), chopped
2-4 cloves garlic (skin on), crushed
1 large bunch thyme
1 large bunch oregano
FRESH ground sea salt, to taste
FRESH ground black pepper, to taste
any other greens (asparagus, snap peas…)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup COLD water
- In a large stock pot add all the above and bring to a SLOW boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 3-4 hours.
- Strain broth and discard all bones and remnants.
- Return broth to pan.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and water.
- Whisk cornstarch mixture into the broth until thickened.
- Season to taste.