CHEESY SOUR CREAM CHICKEN adapted from A Dish of Daily Life
4 chicken breasts or 2 pounds chicken tenders
1 LARGE shallot, peeled, halved and sliced thin
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon avocado oil
4 slices Mozzarella or Provolone
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup Parmesan, freshly grated, divided
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon FRESH ground salt
1/2 teaspoon FRESH ground pepper
chopped Italian Parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Over medium high heat, melt butter and avocado oil.
- Add onions and 2 minced cloves of garlic. Saute’ until golden and cooked through.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or avocado oil.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk sour cream smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, 2 minced cloves of garlic, garlic powder and cornstarch stirring to mix well.
- Place sauteed onions in bottom of baking dish.
- Lay chicken breasts over onions in baking dish in a single layer.
- Top each with a slice of Provolone or Mozzarella and smother the chicken with the sour cream mixture.
- Top with 1/4 cup remaining Parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 30 minutes more until chicken is cooked through and cheese is golden.
- Serve chicken over pasta.
- Top with chopped parsley for garnish.
NOTE: If using chicken tenders, slice Provolone or Mozzarella slices into smaller pieces to fit. You can also use grated cheese.