ITALIAN Chicken and Noodles
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts or tenders
1 medium Vidalia onion, finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped *see notes
1 1/2 cups of finely chopped carrots
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon Sweet paprika
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon avocado oil
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1/3-1/2 cup chicken broth
Prepared mashed potatoes (noodles AND mashed potatoes were grams AND great grams way favorite way of serving this)
- In a large sauce skillet, melt butter and avocado oil.
- Add generously seasoned chicken pieces. Pan sauce 2-3 minutes per side until JUST cooked through. Remove to cutting board for shredding.
- Add carrots, cooking until they begin to soften.
- Add celery and onions.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, paprika and minced garlic.
- Add in chicken broth, stirring to blend.
- Reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until carrots are cooked through and tender. If gravy is too thin, see notes.
- Remove bay leaf, add in chicken pieces and heat through.
- Fold in noodles.
- Serve over mashed potatoes immediately.
- A can of petite diced tomatoes can easily be substituted.
- If it is too thin, then make a slurry from a tablespoon or 2 of the gravy and a tablespoon or 2 of cornstarch. Add into the pan, stirring constantly, but gently to blend until you reach the desired consistency.
- Great grams always started with a whole chicken and would boil it down to pieces and use the cooking water as the broth which adds white a bit of flavor.