These biscuits are SOOOOOOOO simple AND SOOOOOOOO flavorful too!
CHEDDAR BISCUITS yields 8 biscuits
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
4 slices medium cheddar, halved diagonally
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or use a silpat.
- Whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add 3/4 cup of the cheese with the flour mixture, tossing to coat the cheese.
- Add 1 1/4 cup of heavy cream, mixing well with a wooden spoon until dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto greased wax paper.
- Add remaining cream to bowl, collecting all the stray dry flour bits. Add to dough and knead together until smooth for 30 seconds. Form into an 8-inch circle.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Add a slice of the medium cheddar to each wedge.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese, rotate pan and return to oven for another 8 minutes.
NOTE: These biscuits work with ANY flavor cheese you choose. I often make them with Pepper jack or Gruyere and often add a small amount of green chilies or chopped olives when the flavor calls for it.