This is a great recipe that is a super easy casserole replacement for the time consuming task of stuffing tamale husks.
CHICKEN TAMALE PIE
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place a 10 inch cast iron pan on a baking sheet and place in oven to warm.
3 cups chopped FRESH tomatoes
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced into a paste
1 tablespoon avocado oil
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon Wondra flour
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
- Pulse together 2 cups of the tomatoes, onions and garlic until ALMOST pureed.
- Heat the avocado oil in a skillet.
- Stir in the chili powder and flour.
- Whisk in the broth and tomato puree mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Season to taste with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of sauce.
- Add in chicken and remaining tomatoes.
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon FRESH ground sea salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 LARGE egg
1 can SHOEPEG corn, drained
1 small can green chiles, drained
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
2 cups shredded cheese (combination of cheddar and jack)
- Combine the cornmeal, 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter and egg.
- Fold in dry ingredients to the wet ingredients JUST until combined.
- Gently fold in corn and green chiles.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- Add the butter to the cast iron pan.
- Carefully pour the batter into the pan and bake 20 minutes.
- Poke holes in cornbread.
- Spread reserved sauce over the cornbread.
- Top with chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese over chicken mixture.
- Return baking sheet to oven and bake 10 minutes until cheese melts.