TOMATO BEEF STROGANOFF
1 1/4 pounds sirloin tips, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 teaspoons Bragg’s liquid aminos
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 pound mushrooms, sliced thin **
2 teaspoons hot water
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
Fresh sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 large shallot, diced fine
2 tablespoons Wondra flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup sour cream (SEE NOTES)
1 tablespoon fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
- Poke each piece of meat with a fork
- In a mixing bowl toss meat pieces with Bragg’s liquid aminos, cover and marinate 1 hour.
- While meat is marinating prep mushrooms.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauce until soft and caramelizeng.
- Drain mushrooms and set aside.
- Whisk together the water and mustard powder with the sugar, and some pepper just until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
- Pat meat dry with paper toweling.
- Season with fresh ground pepper.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add beef pieces and sear on ALL sides, reducing heat as necessary to prevent burning. Transfer eat to plate.
- Add Add onions and saute until caramelized and browning.
- Add in the tomato sauce and flour, stirring to blend.
- Stir in beef broth, mustard paste and wine until well blended and bring to a SLOW simmer, cooking until slightly reduced and starting to thicken.
- Fold meat pieces and mushrooms into the sauce and cook a couple minutes more until heated through.
- Remove from heat and fold in sour cream.
- Serve immediately over buttered noodles.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- I prefer thin sliced mushrooms, but some prefer larger mushrooms in which case you should use 1 pound and quarter them. Hubby hates mushrooms and I often omit them all together and it’s still a really tasty dish!
- Y0u can substitute a whipped cream cheese for a thicker version.