You know me, I prefer to scratch cook 100% of the time. Okay 99% of the time. But this dump cake with the cherry pie filling and buttery cake mix topped with the almonds, pecans or walnuts really makes this a quick, yet flavorful dessert for unexpected company or a church potluck. The addition of the cream cheese makes this is a serious upgrade to your mother’s dump cake of the 90’s. I just haven’t yet converted the cake mix into a scratch version that works as well as the store bought mix.
CHERRY ALMOND CREAM CHEESE COBBLER or DUMP CAKE adapted from Tablespoon Kitchens serves 12
2 – 21 ounce cans COMSTOCK TART cherry (see notes) pie filling
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
8 ounces cold cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 box yellow or white cake mix (both work well, but preferably the moist version)
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped pecans, almonds or walnuts
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°.
- LIGHTLY spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, mix together the cherry pie filling and almond extract.
- Spread evenly in the bottom of baking dish.
- Top evenly with cubed cream cheese pieces.
- Sprinkle evenly with dry cake mix.
- Evenly pour melted butter over cake mix, covering as much and as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle with chopped almonds or chopped walnuts.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until top of cake is golden brown and bubbling on edges.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
- With just the two of us, I measure the cake mix and then save half for another time and halve the other ingredients as well while baking in an 8×8 baking dish.
- The cherry can also be traded with Peach or Blueberry with excellent results.
- If you want to go elegant this recipe prepares well in individual ramekins if you want to take the time to measure everything evenly. 😀