POLYNESIAN CHICKEN ala SLOW COOKER & HAWAIIAN POTATO SALAD
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 LARGE can crushed pineapple, drained – reserve juice
1 can mandarin oranges, drained – reserve juice
8 ounce can water chestnuts, drained
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon + 1/4 cup Bragg’s liquid aminos
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup green onions, sliced diagonally
prepared white rice
- Generously season chicken with FRESH ground salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear chicken 2-3 minutes per side.
- Add chicken to slow cooker.
- Scatter pineapple and oranges over chicken.
- Whisk together the pineapple juice, orange juice, chicken broth, ginger, 1 tablespoon liquid aminos, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and garlic.
- Pour over chicken, cover and slow cook on low 6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken with slotted spoon to a plate and keep warm.
- Whisk together 1/4 cup Bragg’s liquid aminos, cornstarch and 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar.
- Whisk into slow cooker.
- Add in green onions and cook, whisking frequently, uncovered on high for 10 minutes until thickened to desired consistency.
- Serve over rice.
HAWAIIAN “POTATO” PASTA SALAD
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 FRESH jalapenos, 1 sliced thin into rings, 1 finely seeded and chopped
2 pounds new red, or golden fleshed potatoes, halved
3/4 cup dry (uncooked) small shell pasta (elbows work too)
2 eggs, hard boiled, peeled, and finely grated
2 stalks crispy celery, thinly sliced
4-6 sweet pickles, chopped small
1 – 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard (optional)
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Whisk together the vinegar, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Add onions and jalapenos. Marinate at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Drain, reserving pickling juice.
- Put potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water, add 2 tablespoons salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down heat to maintain an easy boil and cook until just tender.
- Drain potatoes and rinse well with cold water to stop cooking and cool the postatoes. Chop into about 1 inch cubes, and set aside.
- Cook pasta per package instructions until al dente. Drain, rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Add diced potatoes and cooked pasta to large bowl.
- Add the eggs, celery, sweet pickles and drained onion and jalapenos. Add one cup mayonnaise, mustard, 1/2 of the pickling juice and salt and pepper, to taste, to the bowl.
- Mix gently to combine and evenly distribute dressing.
- Add more mayo as necessary, if mixture is not well covered with dressing.
- Taste, adjust seasonings, and add more pickling juice, if desired.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours so flavors meet one another and get all friendly.
- Serve chilled.