PORK CHOPS in TOMATO GRAVY
4 bone-in pork chops
4 slices bacon, diced
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons avocado oil
1 onion, diced small
1 celery rib, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons WONDRA flour
1 tablespoon QUALITY tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon FRESH minced thyme leaves
- Combine paprika, sugar, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper until well mixed.
- Pat pork chops dry.
- Rub chops on both sides with spice mixture.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon pieces with a slotted spoon to drain on paper toweling
- Add chops to bacon grease and sear 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer chops to a plate browned side up.
- Add onion, celery and garlic to pan, sauteing until softened.
- Add flour and tomato paste, stirring and cooking until well mixed.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, thyme and bacon pieces.
- Bring to a SLOW boil.
- Lower to a simmer, return chops to pan browned side up and simmer 8-10 minutes until chops register 145°.
- Transfer chops to rest on a platter and tent with foil for 5-10 minutes.
- Season gravy to taste and keep warm.
- Serves over prepared pasta, rice or mashed potatoes.