Like Lasagna, but not all the hassle? Makes Broken Lasagna AKA Baked Ziti or ANY pasta for that matter – it’s all about the flavors 😀
BAKED ZITI Recipe Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 55 minutes Yield: Serves at least 8
1 pound ziti or pasta of your choice
1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
1/2 pound ground beef or pork
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon FRESH basil, minced
1 tablespoon Garden Gourmet Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
32 ounces marinara (jar or your own homemade)
1/2 pound of grated Mozzarella cheese
1 heaping cup of ricotta cheese
1 cup FRESH grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large pot of water to a hard boil.
- Add a tablespoon of salt.
- Add the pasta and cook at a rolling boil, uncovered, until the pasta is al dente—edible but still a little firm to the bite.
- Drain the pasta well.
- Toss with a little avocado oil so it doesn’t stick together.
- Set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of avocado oil in a large sauté pan on medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the sausage and ground beef or ground pork, breaking up any large chunks as it cooks. Brown well.
- Season with FRESH ground salt and pepper.
- Drain off any excessive grease, but leave a little for flavor.
- Add onions and garlic, sautéing until the onions are translucent and beginning to brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the basil, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, stirring to combine and coat well.
- Add the marinara sauce and stir well.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9×13-inch casserole pan.
- Add dollops of half the ricotta cheese.
- Ladle a spoonful of sauce into the pasta, stir it well and then add the pasta into the casserole.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the pasta.
- Add dollops of the remaining ricotta cheese over top.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the top is lightly browned and the cheese melted.
- I sometimes add small mini meatballs for fun 😀
- You can substitute dried herbs if that is all you have on hand. Use 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme to replace the Italian seasoning.