SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CHILE VERDE
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 tablespoons avocado oil
1 white onion, chopped small
1 tablespoon cumin
10 LARGE tomatillos, chopped
3 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped*
3 Anaheim peppers, seeded and chopped*
1 LARGE jalapeno, seeded and chopped*
2 LARGE cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water
- Add peppers, garlic, oil and 2/3 of cilantro to food processor. Pulse until smooth with only small chunks.
- Quickly sear the chicken and then chop into large pieces.
- Spray slow cooker insert with non-stick spray.
- Add food processor contents and chicken broth to the slow cooker, whisking to combine.
- Stir in cumin, salt and pepper.
- Fold in chicken pieces and onions.
- Cook on LOW for 4-5 hours until chicken is tender and pulls apart.
- Whisk cornstarch and water together until smooth.
- Stir into slow cooker, cooking for another 10-15 minutes until desired thickness.
- Fold in remaining cilantro just before serving.
- Serve with warmed tortillas, shredded cheese and sour cream.
NOTES: For extra flavor char peppers before chopping.