BAKED ASIAGO MEATBALL PARMESAN
1/2 pound ground pork
1 pound ground beef
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
FRESH chopped flat leaf parsley, to taste
FRESH chopped oregano, to taste
FRESH chopped basil, to taste
2 LARGE eggs
FRESH ground sea salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups marinara sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Mix ground meats, garlic, breadcrumbs, Asiago cheese, parsley, eggs, salt and pepper together until well blended.
- Form golf ball sized meatballs.
- Coat a rimmed baking pan with avocado oil and place meatballs on pan.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- In a large cast iron ovenproof skillet (I use my enameled cast iron crock pot) whisk together the marinara and chicken broth.
- Bring sauce to a SLOW & LOW simmer.
- Add meatballs to sauce and simmer 4-6 hours.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top until completely covered.
- Cover dish and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes until golden.
- Serve with a side of pasta.