One of my favorite summer treats is juicy red ripe watermelon and sweet navel oranges drizzled with a thick and sweet balsamic glaze with a bit of Cotija cheese (Mexican Parmesan) sprinkled on top. You can use ANY balsamic vinegar, but I like to use flavor infused (pear or coconut pineapple are my favorites) for a bit of extra flavor.
BALSAMIC GLAZE for fruit
1 3/4 cups QUALITY balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
- In a small saucepan bring balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, whisking often, until reduced by half.
- Whisk in sugar and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes, whisking often, until glaze coats the back of a spoon.
- Cool before pouring into squeeze bottle or cruet. Will keep in refrigerator 2 months or so.