This is a Molly Yeh recipe from Girl Meets Farm. I normally love her recipes and experimenting with new things, but this one needed some serious tweaking to make it right.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH, BACON and APPLE HOT DISH
3/4 pound thick-cut bacon
2 large purple onions, chunky thin wedges
2 pounds 1 small butternut squash, seeded, peeled and chopped into small 1/2-inch cubes
6 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 cup white wine
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 3 large Honey Crisp Granny Smith apples, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- In a LARGE cast iron skillet cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper toweling for draining.
- Drain half the bacon grease from the skillet, leaving just enough to coat the skillet.
- Add the onions and turn the heat to medium-high. Saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the squash, thyme, some salt, a few turns of pepper and a few pinches of crushed red pepper, stirring occasionally, about 8-10 more minutes.
- Add the wine and broth.
- Roughly chop the bacon and add it to the skillet along with the apples.
- Bring the mixture to a SLOW boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, while you make the biscuits.
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 large egg, lightly beaten
FRESHLY ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add the butter and, using a food processor, pastry cutter or your hands, incorporate the butter until the mixture is the consistency of raw oatmeal.
- Mix in the cream until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Turn it out onto a floured work surface, pat it out to 3/4-inch thick and then cut out round biscuits, re-rolling scraps as needed.
- Turn off the heat before dotting the top of the skillet with the biscuits.
- Brush the biscuits with the beaten egg and top with black pepper.
- Bake until the biscuits are golden brown, cooked through and flaky, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve right from the skillet!
- NEXT TIME I will change the apples to Granny Smiths and add an extra apple and decrease the squash. Hubby wants me to trade the squash altogether for potatoes or Brussels sprouts.
- This recipe also works well with “cheater” biscuits from the dairy case 😀