SLOW COOKER CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon avocado oil
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 slices
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 LARGE shallot, sliced thin
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped thyme
5 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
1 cup half and half, at room temperature
2 tablespoons cream sherry
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
- Melt butter and oil in a large skillet.
- Generously season chicken with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Sear chicken pieces on each side.
- Transfer chicken to slow cooker.
- Arrange carrots, celery, shallots and garlic over chicken breasts.
- Pour chicken broth over everything.
- Cook on low 3 hours.
- Remove chicken pieces and shred with 2 forks.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour with the half and half.
- Stir half and half mixture into the crockpot.
- Recover and increase heat to high.
- Return chicken to slow cooker.
- Stir in sherry and thyme.
- Recover and cook 15-20 minutes while preparing the dumplings.
1 1/8 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
FRESH ground sea salt & black pepper
3 tablespoons butter, melted, but cooled
1/3 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
2 tablespoons FRESH minced parsley
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder and black pepper.
- Stir in melted butter, buttermilk and parsley.
- Season with salt as necessary.
- Drop dumplings rustically by tablespoons in a ring around the slow cooker.
- Recover and cook on high another 20-30 minutes or until the dumplings are fluffy and fully cooked through.
- Break apart dumplings gently and stir chicken before serving.