CHERRY PINEAPPLE BUNDT CAKE adapted from Sweet Peas Kitchen
This Cherry Almond Bundt Cake is a refreshing dessert cake full of flavor that lends its beauty to any backyard BBQ or church social, but is also great for holiday buffet tables with the perfect slices of bundt style cake.
1 ½ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups sugar
5 LARGE eggs, room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk, room temperature
2 teaspoons QUALITY PURE pineapple extract
1 cup COMSTOCK cherries (save the rest of the can for garnish at the end)
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Generously grease and flour bundt pan proper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Pour the cherries into a strainer to drain the glaze from the cherries into a large bowl. Keep the glaze. The glaze will be thick and take some time to drain. Shake the colander periodically or move the cherries around with a large spoon to separate them from the glaze.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar and continue beating it until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add the almond extract, mixing until incorporated.
- Add the eggs ONE AT A TIME making sure each one is mixed before adding the next egg.
- Gradually alternate dry ingredients and milk, beating until incorporated after each addition.
- Pour 1/2 of your batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Add 3/4 cup of the cherries to the batter and swirl them into the batter.
- Spread a VERY THIN layer of the glaze on top.
- Add the remaining batter followed by the remaining cherries and another VERY THIN layer of glaze.
- Cover the bundt pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 65-70 minutes. The sides of the cake should be slightly pulling away from the pan and a cake tester should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool at least 10-15 minutes on a wire rack. The pan should be lukewarm, but cool to the touch.
- Invert bundt pan and tap on several sides with a table knife to release the cake onto the wire rack. Let cool completely before glazing.
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
6 teaspoons heavy whipping cream or milk
¼ teaspoon QUALITY almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the cream cheese in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, to soften.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the cream cheese, and powdered sugar, stir to combine.
- Add the heavy cream, almond extract and salt and continue to stir until it thickens.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- Garnish with sliced almonds
- Use remaining Comstock sherries around the edge of the bundt cake before serving. To make it even more decadent you can add a fudge drizzle over the cherries or the whole cake!
Store in an airtight container for up to a week. This cake freezes exceptionally well IF it is frozen soon after baking. Be sure to wrap it at least twice and place in a large ziplock bag to prevent it from drying out or freezer burn. If you wrap it well, it will taste just like a fresh cake after thawing.
- Pineapple – Make it with crushed canned pineapple instead. It is an entirely different flavor that is scrumptious.
- COMSTOCK – just about any pie filling flavor lends itself to this cake, but I especially like the Berry medley, peaches or sour cherries.