FLOATING CRUST CHICKEN POT PIE
1 pie crust OR a pre-made PILLSBURY pie crust
4 tablespoon butter
1 LARGE shallot, diced
2 LARGE carrots, peeled and diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons WONDRA flour
1 1/2 cups homemade chicken broth
1 1/2 cups WHOLE milk
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped thyme pieces
3 cups chopped cooked chicken *see notes
1 can LeSeur Peas, drained WELL
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Roll the crust to 1 inch larger between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Remove the top parchment paper.
- Fold and crimp the outer edge to decorate the crust.
- Arrange parchment on baking sheet.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Beat egg with 1 tablespoon water and brush crust. Save remainder for later.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until LIGHT-MEDIUM golden brown.
- Remove from oven to cool, but leave oven on.
- In large skillet melt butter.
- Add carrots and shallots, sauteing and cooking 8-10 minutes until carrots have softened.
- Add garlic, sauteing 30 seconds more.
- Add flour, stirring to blend.
- Add chicken broth and milk, stirring regularly, until sauce thickens.
- Add thyme, FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Fold in the chicken pieces and peas.
- Arrange crust on top.
- Lightly brush with another layer of beaten egg.
- Place pan in oven baking 10-15 minutes until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
- To make this recipe easier I use COSTCO rotisserie chicken pieces.
- You can also use frozen peas, but I find the canned Le Seur peas are much more tender.