Now there is much debate over Gran’s cranberry salad recipe, but one thing was for sure, she’d have to make a double batch, one for my mom and aunt and another for everyone else. Now while I usually helped prepare the above recipe, I hated it!! One year she even decided the grapes needed to be peeled – need I say more?
I much prefer the recipe below. Shhhh, don’t tell anyone, but I have been known to eat a whole batch by myself. In my defense it was while I wasn’t feeling good and had a sore throat.
1 package (3 ounces) cherry Jell-o
1 package (3 ounces) black cherry Jell-o
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 can (14 ounces) whole berry cranberry sauce
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
2 cups seedless green grapes, quartered
chopped pecans (optional)
- Dissolve the jell-o in the boiling water in a large bowl.
- Fold in the pineapple and cranberry sauce.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Fold in grapes and pecans if desired.
- Refrigerate until firm.
Now on to the REALLY yummy stuff!
3 cups crushed pretzels
1/2 cup sugar
scant 1 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a 13×9 cake pan with heavy duty foil, leaving plenty on the edges to use as handles later. This will make clean-up so much easier.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the pretzels, sugar and melted butter until well blended.
- Press the pretzel mixture evenly into the bottom of the cake pan.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
11 ounce package caramel baking bits (or 14 ounce vanilla caramels, unwrapped)
2 cups honey roasted peanuts
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over a medium heat.
- Whisk in the whipping cream and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in caramel bits, stirring constantly until bits are melted and sauce is smooth.
- Add in peanuts to coat well.
- Immediately pour over pretzel layer, spreading evenly.
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup Heath milk chocolate toffee bits
- Scatter each of these over the caramel layer.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until edges are bubbling.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Lift foil edges to remove bars from pan.
- Cut into bars.
- Layer between wax paper in an airtight container. I store them in the fridge, but the can also be frozen for 3 months.
creamy peanut butter
- Spread peanut butter on ritz crackers and top with another cracker.
- Melt almond bark in the microwave.
- Dip each cookie in the almond bark and set onto wax paper to harden.
- If you’re using sprinkles do so before the almond bark hardens.
A few more favorites are: