CREAMED BASIL CHICKEN
Skillet Basil Cream Chicken has always been one of my favorite recipes. Creamy sauce made with buttermilk and cheese, breaded chicken, tomatoes, fresh herbs, and more make up this super easy, delicious, and fool-proof chicken dinner. ADAPTED from Becky Hardin – The Cookie Rookie
¼ cup buttermilk
¼ cup dry breadcrumbs
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4-5 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons avocado oil
¼ cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 cup heavy cream
1 shallot, sliced thin
1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced thin
1 (4 ounce) can pimentos, drained OR 2 small sweet peppers, diced
1 can petite diced tomatoes, drained (optional)
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons garlic & herb cheese, like Boursin
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place chicken breasts in a shallow dish and cover with buttermilk for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour breadcrumbs in another shallow dish.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon avocado oil.
- Dredge chicken pieces in the breadcrumbs and place in the hot skillet.
- Cook 5 minutes or until bottom side is crispy and golden brown.
- Add remaining butter and oil and flip the breasts over.
- Cook another 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add shallots to pan, cooking until soft.
- Add mushrooms, cooking until starting to caramelize.
- Add chicken broth and sherry to the skillet to deglaze, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the cream, pimentos or peppers and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and add Parmesan cheese, garlic-herb cheese, basil and black pepper.
- Simmer and cook until sauce reduces by half.
- Add the chicken back into the sauce and heat through.
- Serve over pasta with sauce.