CAJUN HONEY BUTTER OR LEMON PEPPER SALMON & SHRIMP
Sweet and savory pan-seared salmon topped with sautéed shrimp in cajun butter sauce. Salmon New Orleans is an unforgettable meal.
4-6 ounce salmon fillets
FRESH ground salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled, de-veined
8 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons honey
LEMON PEPPER & SEA SALT seasoning
FRESH ground sea salt
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon onion salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
heaping ½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl whisk together all Cajun OR Lemon Pepper seasoning ingredients and set aside.
- Season the salmon with fresh ground salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add honey and whisk to combine (mixture should be bubbly).
- Add salmon fillets to pan and cook for 5-6 minutes, then flip and cook another 5-6 minutes until salmon is cooked through, flaky, and browned.
- Transfer salmon pieces to a platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining butter to the pan over medium-high heat. Once butter is melted, stir in cajun seasoning.
- Add shrimp to pan and saute’ until opaque, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve salmon topped with shrimp pieces.
- Drizzle any extra pan sauce over the top and garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
- Serve immediately.
TART ORANGE MARMALADE
8-10 medium oranges (6 cups sections + 1 1/2 cups juice + 2 cups small cut rind slices)
2-3 medium lemons, sectioned and reserve juice
7 cups sugar
1 cup QUALITY honey
1 liquid pectin pouch (3 ounces)
1 tablespoon butter
- Peel oranges and lemons, reserving rinds for later.
- Using a cutting board with a reservoir to catch the juices, cut sections into small chopped pieces. You should have 6 cups of chopped fruit.
- Pour off juice to measure. Off set with FRESH squeezed to equal 1 1/2 cups.
- Slice rinds from both the lemons and oranges into VERY thin strips until you have 2 cups worth.
- Add fruit, juice, rinds, sugar and honey to large stock pot. Bring to a FULL ROLLING boil.
- Add pectin continuing to boil for 2 minutes.
- Stir in butter and skim any remaining froth.
- Immediately ladle into hot sterilized jars.
- Process in water bath for 15 minutes.
- Cool jars inverted on a towel until cool.
HONEY ORANGE PINEAPPLE CHICKEN ala SLOW COOKER serves 6-8
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup orange pineapple juice
Juice of 1 LARGE lemon
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup QUALITY honey
1/4 cup apricot pineapple preserves
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Country Bob’s All Purpose Sauce
1/4 cup Heinz Chili sauce
8 ounce can crushed pineapple
1 small can Mandarin orange segments, drained WELL
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup sliced carrots
chopped green onions for garnish
- In a mixing bowl whisk together orange pineapple juice, lemon juice, chicken broth, honey, preserves, brown sugar, cornstarch, teriyaki sauce, Chili sauce, Country Bob’s sauce and crushed pineapple.
- Spray slow cooker insert with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker in as shallow a layer as possible.
- Top with onion and carrot pieces.
- Pour juice mixture over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Cover and cook 1 hour more.
- Top with Mandarin orange segments, turn off heat, cover and let sit 5 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked rice. Top with fresh chopped green onions.
CHILI HONEY LIME SALMON
2 limes – 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice (about 1 lime and 1 lemon juiced) and 1 lime cut into wedges
1/4 cup FRESH chopped Italian Parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
4 garlic cloves, minced
+/- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chili flakes (based on spice level preference)
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon honey
4 FRESH salmon fillets
4-6 baby sweet red, orange, yellow bell peppers, de-seeded and diced
1 large shallot, sliced thick
- Preheat oven to broil settings on high heat.
- Cover baking sheet with foil.
- Spray foil with cooking oil spray; set aside.
- Whisk together lime juice, parsley, olive oil, water, garlic, chili flakes, cumin and salt together to combine.
- Add the honey and whisk again until well combined.
- Arrange the salmon fillets, peppers and onion in a single layer on the prepared baking tray.
- Pour half of the marinade evenly over salmon, peppers and shallots, turning to coat well.
- Broil until the peppers are just beginning to char at the edges and the salmon is cooked to your liking, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with lime wedges and remaining marinade for added flavor.
HONEY GARLIC CHICKEN WITH ASPARAGUS
2 tablespoons butter
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
+/-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
2 cups asparagus pieces (1 bunch cleaned, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces)
1 tablespoon Bragg’s liquid aminos
1 tablespoon honey
- Heat oil in a large skillet over a medium heat.
- Saute chicken pieces, shallot, garlic and red chili pepper flakes for 6-8 minutes.
- Add asparagus and cook 3 minutes more.
- Whisk together the liquid aminos and honey. Add to skillet and cook another couple minutes.
- Serve immediately over rice.
BUTTERMILK CORNBREAD with SALTED HONEY BUTTER
1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons plain white cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, and heat in oven 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together first 5 ingredients in a bowl; whisk in melted butter.
- Add eggs and buttermilk, whisking just until smooth.
- Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake at 400° for 30 to 33 minutes or until golden brown.
SALTED HONEY BUTTER
¼ pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at cool room temperature
2 ½ tablespoons honey, preferably raw wildflower
1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- Using a mixer whip butter and honey together until smooth and fluffy.
- Fold salt in gently with a rubber spatula.
- Serve soft or at room temperature, with a few extra grains of salt on top.
Linking up to FULL Plate Thursday.