While this recipe is an entree it turns into a salad for us. We usually go heavy on the micro greens and then cut up all the parts to toss with the sauce and YUMMY salad just magically appears before it quickly disappears!
BALSAMIC POMEGRANATE CAPRESE CHICKEN
1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
1/2 cup STRONG QUALITY balsamic vinegar
2 boneless, skin-on chicken breasts** (SEE NOTE)
FRESH ground Himalayan sea salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons avocado oil
2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch-thick
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
fresh buffalo mozzarella, sliced 1/4- inch-thick
1/4 cup crushed pistachios
Fresh BABY basil leaves or micro greens, for garnish
- Bring pomegranate juice and vinegar to a SLOW simmer in a small saucepan over low heat, then let cook until very syrupy, thick and reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 45 minutes. Season to taste and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Generously Sprinkle chicken breasts liberally with FRESH ground Himalayan sea salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add oil to a medium ovenproof skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Place chicken in the skillet skin-side down and cook until the skin is nice and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip chicken and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and roast until cooked through and juices run clear, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice the cooked chicken breast 1/4-inch-thick.
- Layer tomatoes, onions, chicken and mozzarella on a platter.
- Drizzle with the pomegranate reduction.
- Sprinkle with crushed pistachios.
- Scatter basil leaves or micro greens on top.
NOTE: Skinless, boneless breasts cans be substituted, but the browned crispy skin is a MUST for us. If you do substitute, be sure to also adjust the cooking time. You can also start with a thick slab of bacon under the chicken to create the illusion of crispy skin.
CREAM OF TOMATO CHICKEN with RICE
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups tomato puree
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 Large shallot, finally chopped
2 tablespoons FRESH chopped basil
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 cups rotisserie chicken pieces
1/2 cup long grain rice
Bacon Crumbles (optional)
Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring broth and shallot to a SLOW boil.
- Add tomato puree, brown sugar, rice, celery salt, garlic powder and basil.
- Simmer 25 minutes until rice is tender.
- Stir in buttermilk and chicken pieces until well blended.
- Season to taste and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Serve in a toasted bread bowl or with toasted croutons.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon if desired.
BALSAMIC BAKED MOZZARELLA CHICKEN serves 4
adapted from CafeDelites.com
4 skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons lemon olive oil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix
FRESH ground salt teaspoon salt, to taste
FRESH ground black pepper, to taste
6 cloves garlic, minced
6 ounce jar marinated artichokes, drained well
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 red onion, sliced
1 LARGE shallot, sliced
1/4 cup QUALITY balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
3/4 cup fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped Italian parsley
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish and drizzle with lemon olive oil.
- Mix together Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Rub seasoning all over each breast.
- Arrange the tomatoes, half of the garlic, shallot slices and red onion slices around the chicken in the dish.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, sugar and remaining garlic in a jug to combine.
- Pour over the chicken breasts, flip each breast in the sauce to evenly coat.
- Bake 20-25 minutes (depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts), or until no longer pink in the middle.
- Sprinkle with cheese and broil for 4-5 minutes, until cheese is melted and golden.
- Garnish with parsley and basil.
- Serve over pasta
- Drizzle with the pan juices.
LINKING WITH: CELEBRATE YOUR STORY, CRAFTASTIC MONDAY, DISHING IT & DIGGING IT, NIFTY THRIFTY SUNDAY, SHOW & TELL, SUNDAYS AT HOME, SUNDAY’S BEST, THAT DIY PARTY, JCOOKING & CRAFTING WITH J&J, INPIRATION MONDAY , INSPIRE ME MONDAY , MADE BY YOU MONDAY, MAKE IT PRETTY MONDAY, MELT IN YOUR MOUTH MONDAY, MERRY MONDAY, MIX IT UP MONDAY, MOTIVATE ME MONDAY, PROJECT INSPIRED, SHOW AND SHARE, TUTORIALS & TIP , DIY TUESDAYS, LOU LOU GIRLS FABULOUS PARTY, THE SCOOP, TREASURE BOX TUESDAY, TUESDAYS AT OUR HOME, TUESDAYS WITH A TWIST,CREATIVE INSPIRATIONS, SHARE YOUR CUP , WINTER BLUES WEDNESDAY, WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY, SHOW ME WEDNESDAYS, WOW US WEDNESDAY , CREATIVE CIRCLE, DAGMAR’S PARTY, HOME SWEET HOME, FAVORITE THINGS, GRACE AT HOME, HOME MATTERS, PIN JUNKIE PIN PARTY, TALK OF THE TOWN, BLOGGER’S PIT STOP, HANDMADE HANGOUT, PRETTY PINTASTIC PARTY, SHARE IT ONE MORE TIME, SWAY SHAREFEST, WHAT TO DO WEEKENDS PARTY, BOUQUET OF TALENT PARTY, INSPIRE-BE-INSPIRED, RAE GUN BLOCK PARTY, I’M LOVIN’ IT, THIS IS HOW WE ROLL THURSDAY, FULL PLATE THURSDAY, FOODIE FRIDAY