PRETZEL CRUSTED CHICKEN
4 small, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, flattened
1 1/2 cup salted pretzels, any shape
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups, sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 small Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- Preheat a large stainless steel skillet with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Place the pretzels in a food processor and grind until fine.
- Transfer the ground pretzels to a shallow dish, add the thyme, salt and pepper. Crack and beat 2 eggs in a second shallow dish with a splash of water. One at a time, coat each chicken breast in the egg and then ground pretzels.
- Add the pretzel-coated chicken breast to the hot oil. Cook in a single layer, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side, until the juices run clear and breading is evenly browned.
- While the chicken is frying, in a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour to it. Cook flour and butter for 1 minute and then whisk in the milk. When the milk comes to a bubble, stir in the cheese and mayonnaise with a wooden spoon. Season with a little salt and pepper, and remove cheese sauce from the heat.
- Transfer the fried pretzel-crusted chicken breast to a serving plate, drizzle with the cheddar sauce, then sprinkle with a little parsley, finely chopped onion and sour dill pickle. Serve lemon wedges alongside.