CHICKEN with CHARRED POBLANO CREAMED CORN & BACON – serves 4
4 chicken legs **
2 tablespoons avocado oil
6 slices bacon, diced
1 LARGE Vidalia onion, chopped
4 LARGE cloves garlic
1 cup whole milk
4 sprigs FRESH thyme, reserve 1 sprig to chop small
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lime
1 Poblano pepper
FRESH ground salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves
1/4 cup sour cream
- Broil pepper to blister.
- Place pepper in a sealed ziploc bag for 5-10 minutes to loosen skin.
- Remove skin and seeds.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. (Dredge with egg wash and Wonder if using skinless, boneless pieces)
- Brown chicken pieces until golden and JUST cooked through.
- Remove chicken to drain off excess fat. Keep warm.
- Add bacon to pan and cook until crisp.
- Remove bacon with slotted spoon.
- Add onion and garlic cooking 2-3 minutes.
- Add corn.
- Add milk and 3 of the thyme sprigs and bring to a SLOW boil, immediately reducing to a simmer.
- Add chicken pieces, cover and simmer 30 minutes if using bone in, 10-15 if using skinless boneless pieces.
- Add corn and cook another 15-20 minutes until liquid is completely absorbed.
- Plate creamed corn, and top with chicken.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and sauce before serving.
- Garnish with thyme leaves and crisp bacon.
NOTE:** This recipe can be made with boneless skinless thighs for easy eating, BUT having the skin that gets crispy and golden does add a layer of flavor and texture that makes a GREAT presentation. When I use skinless, boneless chicken I dredge the chicken in an egg wash and Wonder flour to give the illusion of a crusty skin.