Duff says that the King deserves a cookie. And you know what, he’s absolutely right, and I for one am so glad Duff created a cookie for him! Elvis was known for some odd eating combos and this cookie showcases them all – bananas, peanut butter, garlic, bacon, pretzels… YEP I said garlic. I always make a recipe as written the first time and then adjust from there. I did include the garlic, but I WILL omit it next time. Hubby couldn’t taste it, but I could.
ELVIS COOKIES ala DUFF GOLDMAN yields 30 cookies
3 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter, smooth or crunchy
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon PURE vanilla extract
BIG pinch of baking powder*
1 garlic clove, minced **(optional)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 VERY ripe bananas
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
3/4 cup pretzel crumbs (about 5 ounces hard pretzels smashed)
10 bacon strips, cooked crisp and chopped FINE
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, peanut butter, molasses, sugar, baking powder, garlic and salt, mixing until all one color.
- Add the bananas, mixing until all the same consistency.
- Add flour and gently mix until incorporated with no lumps.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, pretzel pieces and bacon.
- This is my little addition – chill the entire batch of dough for 1 hour before using.
- Place large walnut sized spoon fulls onto prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart.
- Chill baking sheets 10 minutes.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden on the outside and gooey in the middle.
- Cool on wire rack.
*NOTE: Duff qualifies this by saying yes, he said a BIG pinch of baking powder and to get over it 😀
**NOTE: Duff claims that the garlic isn’t weird and that there is actually a long standing tradition of putting garlic in chocolate chip cookies. I have to admit t does sound weird, but in reality no weirder than the bacon 😀 But like I said hubby couldn’t taste it, but I could so I will omit it next time and leave it up to you.