Another “vintage” recipe from my friend’s grandmother’s “antique” recipe box. This type of recipe was once a staple of the working mother in many American households. I believe it was originally found on the back of a Campbell’s soup can label. I also adapted her recipe “slightly” to add a bit more flavor and texture. Quite a tasty and crunchy satisfying meal. 😀 I made this in honor of my late brother-in-law. He would have LOVED this casserole. Today would have been his birthday.
BROCCOLI CHICKEN DIVAN
2-3 small broccoli crowns, trimmed, cut into florets and rinsed
1 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken pieces
1 can Campbell’s broccoli cheese soup
1/3 cup milk
1/2 + 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup small diced red onion
2 cups prepared rice
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoon Panko bread crumbs
- Grease a shallow 2-3 quart baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Blanch broccoli florets 3-4 minutes in boil water, drain WELL and set aisde.
- In a large bowl whisk together the milk and condensed soup until smooth.
- Fold in 1/2 cup cheese, onion, chicken pieces, rice and broccoli florets.
- Season with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Arrange mixture into baking dish, spread smooth.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Mix Panko crumbs into melted butter until well mixed.
- Sprinkle on top of cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes or until cheese is melted, casserole is heated through and bread crumbs have turned golden.
LOADED CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
2 pounds cauliflower florets, cut into bite sized pieces
8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup FULL fat sour cream
1 1/2 cups FINELY shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups FINELY shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 – 1 teaspoon SLAP YO MAMA seasoning(depending on your level of heat)
4-6 slices crispy cooked bacon, coarsely chopped
1 bunch FRESH chopped green onions, chives or parsley (save some for garnish)
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Steam the cauliflower florets 10 minutes until fork tender.
- Drain WELL.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack, garlic powder, onion powder and slap your mama seasoning until well blended. Mix until creamy and smooth.
- GENTLY fold in cauliflower, 1/2 of the bacon and green onions.
- Season to taste with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Spoon into a casserole dish and top with the remaining bacon.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Top with remaining chives and serve.
NOTE: This Loaded Cauliflower Casserole also makes a wonderfully filling full meal by adding 2 cups rotisserie chicken pieces, 1 pound of browned ground beef or pork.
HAM & BROCCOLI ALFREDO BAKE
12 cups broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups shredded Fontina or baby swiss cheese
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1/2 pound country ham, FINELY diced
1 tablespoon Frank’s hot sauce
1 jar Alfredo sauce or preferably homemade
2-3 cups al dent noodles or pasta, prepare al dente
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped tarragon
1/2 cup FRENCH’S crispy onion rings
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat 2 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add broccoli florets 1-2 minutes until starting to soften.
- Drain broccoli and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl toss fold together the ham pieces, hot sauce, alfredo sauce, tarragon, 1/2 cup of cheese and broccoli.
- Arrange ham mixture in baking dish.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and the crispy onion rings over top, baking 5-7 minutes more until cheese is melted and crispy.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
PAN SEARED CHICKEN with WILTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
3 strips bacon
4 thin chicken steaks
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 LARGE bunch green onions, sliced
2 cups (1/2 pound) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
- In a large skillet fry bacon crisp and set aside to cool on paper toweling.
- Pour off all but 1-2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
- Season chicken breasts with the FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Add chicken breasts to bacon fat and sear on each side 2 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts and let rest.
- Add oil and butter to pan and allow to melt and heat up.
- Add onions and Brussels sprouts, sauteing 1-2 minutes until soft.
- Add broth and nestle chicken breasts in the veggies.
- Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and veggies are crisp tender.
- Sprinkle bacon pieces on top and serve immediately.