OATMEAL CREAM PIES
Soft and chewy oatmeal cookies sandwiched together with a delicious orange vanilla buttercream to create the perfect dessert.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup PACKED light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 LARGE eggs
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon QUALITY ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick or old fashioned oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter and sugars 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla, mixing until well combined.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing until JUST combined.
- Add in oats and mix until incorporated.
- Use a large cookie scoop (about 3 tablespoons) to drop dough onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown, turning baking trays half way through.
- Allow cookies to sit on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely before filling.
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon orange extract
1/2 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
1 tablespoon WHOLE milk
- Beat butter on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Turn the speed down to low and gradually add in the powdered sugar. Continue mixing on low speed until the powdered sugar is completely incorporated.
- Add in vanilla extract and milk and mix until well combined.
- Turn mixer back up to medium-high speed and beat the mixture for an additional 3-5 minutes. If needed, add in a little more cream 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
To assemble the cookies, pipe or spread the cream filling on the flat side of half of the cookies and put the remaining cookies on top.
NOTE: To makes small cookies, use a medium cookie scoop (about 1.5 tablespoons) of dough per cookie and bake for 10-12 minutes.