CHICKEN & CHEESE PIE aka MEXICAN QUICHE – servings: 8 servings
Whether you eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner this chicken and cheese Quesadilla Pie is a combination of a quiche and a quesadilla.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes
1 10-inch flour tortilla, burrito size
3 cups rotisserie chicken shredded pieces
4 ounce can chopped green chiles, drained WELL
1 can ROTEL tomatoes, drained WELL
2 tablespoons pampered chef taco seasoning or 1 package Taco Bell taco seasoning
1/4 cup FINELY chopped FRESH cilantro leaves, PLUS some for garnish
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
2 LARGE eggs
1 cup WHOLE milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Garnishes – sour cream, salsa, guacamole, diced green onions, cotija cheese crumbles
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425-450 degrees.
- Grease 9-inch pie plate.
- Press tortilla into prepared pie plate and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Toss chicken, cilantro, jalapeños (optional), 1 cup of the cheese, FRESH ground sea salt, and black pepper in large bowl until combined.
- Spread filling over tortilla.
- Whisk eggs, milk, flour, baking powder in bowl until smooth.
- Slowly pour over filling.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until surface is golden brown and knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top and bake for about 3-5 minutes more or until cheese melts.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
- Top with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole if desired.
NOTES: Adding 1/4 cup drained chopped pickled jalapeños in place of the or in addition to the green chiles oomphs this recipe up quite a bit.