The original recipe from Taste of Home called for a whole roasting chicken, but I’ve adapted it a more user friendly way of not only roasting, but also serving and eating. This chicken becomes a rich, buttery and juicy bite that is only complemented by each bite of fluffy mashed potatoes and fragrant champagne gravy.
MIMOSA ROASTED CHICKEN
2 medium navel oranges
4 large carrots, peeled and split lengthwise
2-3 leg and thigh quarter skin-on chickens
4 tablespoons butter, melted
FRESH ground pink Himalayan salt and black pepper, to taste
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Litehouse freeze dried basil
1 tablespoon Litehouse freeze dried red jalapeno, chopped small
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon FRESH thyme, finely chopped
2 cups pink moscato wine or Brut champagne
2 medium sweet Vidalia onions, cut into wedges
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Arrange carrot pieces in a single layer on bottom of roaster to form your “rack”.
- Cut one orange into slices.
- Cut second orange into wedges.
- Combine the melted butter, garlic, onion powder, thyme, basil and red jalapeno. Set side to allow the freeze dried herbs time to reconstitute.
- Gently use your fingers to loosen the skin of the chicken.
- Place orange slices under the skin.
- Generously sprinkle the chicken with FRESH ground salt and pepper.
- Rub melted butter mixture over skin of chicken pieces and place on top of carrots.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Combine Moscato and orange juice. Toss with orange wedges, onion wedges and potatoes. Pour into roaster around chicken.
- Return to oven for 45 minutes more or until thermometer reads 175°.**(see note) Baste occasionally with pan juices. Cover and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
NOTE: **Cover loosely with foil if chicken is browning too quickly
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons Wondra flour
- Pour pan juices and loosened browned bits into a measuring cut.
- Skim off fat, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- Add enough chicken broth to measure 1 cup.
- In a small sauce pan melt butter and reserved 1 tablespoon fat.
- Whisk in flour and until smooth and golden.
- Gradually whisk in broth mixture.
- Bring to a GENTLE boil, reduce heat and cook 2-3 minutes until thickened to desired consistency.
- Serve immediately.