4+ pound chicken or chicken pieces*
12 cups water + 4 more
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
2 tablespoons better than bouillon chicken base
5 stalks celery, chopped
1 small bag baby carrots, cut into thirds
1 medium Vidalia onion
3 tablespoons minced garlic, jar
2-4 cups Barilla Campagnelle egg noodles
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
6 medium Yukon potatoes
1/3-1/2 cup buttermilk
- In a large stock pot, bring chicken pieces, liquid smoke, bouillon & water to a boil. Boil until the meat is falling off the bone, about 45 minutes – 1 hour)
- Remove the chicken pieces and let cool enough so you can cut the meat off the bone.
- In the mean time add the carrots, celery, onion (4 cups total), seasonings and 4 cups more water to the stock pot and return to a slow boil for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Pull the chicken pieces off the bones-you’ll have about 4 cups of chicken pieces. Refrigerate the chicken pieces and discard the bones.
- After the vegetables have cooked 45 minutes or until tender add the chicken pieces back in.
- Make a roux out of the butter and flour. Add to stock pot and cook until desired thickness.
- Add noodles to stock pot.
- Cook until noodles are al dente’.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Prepare mashed potatoes.
- Serve stew over mashed potatoes.