When I was in college there was a local grill that did the most amazing fish I’d ever had. I hate to admit that was before Cajun or Blackened became popular. I spent many years trying to duplicate their red snapper after they closed their doors.
PAN FRIED RED SNAPPER with LEMON BUTTER
1 pound Red snapper, cut to portion size
1/4 cup red onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large very ripe lemon, juiced
zest from the lemon
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Rinse and dry the fish fillets with paper towels.
- In a mortar & pestle grind all seasonings together until they are a fine powder and well blended.
- In a large skillet melt the butter.
- Saute’ the onions, garlic and lemon zest until fragrant.
- Arrange onions and garlic towards edge of pan.
- Arrange fish in center of skillet.
- Sprinkle with the seasonings.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn fish, sprinkle with the remaining seasonings and cook another 4-5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cook another 1-2 minutes.