A Good Beginning Donut from Glazed Murder
4-5 cups bread flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg (recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon, but I love nutmeg)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt (recipe calls for 2 dashes)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
Powdered sugar for rolling
Oil for frying
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Using a fork, beat together the sour cream, egg, and buttermilk, then add to the dry ingredients.
- Beat together until mixture resembles bread dough.
- Roll dough 1/4″ on a well-floured surface.
- Using a donut cutter, cut your donuts.
- Heat oil (3 inches deep or so) to 375 degrees.
- Carefully lower donuts into hot oil.
- Fry for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from oil and let drain on paper towels or a rack before dusting with powdered sugar.
- Continue frying remaining donuts and donut holes. Dough may be rolled again to cut more donuts.
I made 1 dozen donuts and 1 dozen donut holes.