GARLIC HERB ROAST CHICKEN with ROASTED ORANGES and RED ONIONS
1 chicken, 4-5 pounds
2 navel oranges, sliced in thick slices or wedges
2 red onions, sliced or wedged (zest one orange)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons butter, softened + 2 tablespoons butter, cubed or thinly sliced
2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 + 1 teaspoons fresh thyme
pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mash garlic and 1 teaspoon salt into a paste.
- Combine garlic paste, 2 teaspoons thyme, butter and zest until well blended.
- Gently separate the skin from the chicken and rub one half of the butter mixture all over.
- Season the outside with the remaining salt and some pepper.
- Fill the cavity with a few of the orange slices, onion wedges and remaining thyme.
- Place chicken, breast side up on a rimmed baking sheet with the wings folded in and legs banded together.
- Scatter the remaining orange and onion pieces around the chicken.
- Dot onions and oranges with the 2 tablespoons of butter pieces.
- Roast for 30 minutes. At this point I added some potatoes also.
- Brush chicken with remaining garlic butter mixture.
- Flip oranges and onions.
- Rotate the baking sheet and roast 15 minutes more.
- Remove the onions and oranges if caramelized.
- Roast chicken 15 minutes more or until juices run clear.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.