I had a bottle of liquid smoke sitting in my cupboard for a long time. I used it for a few things but didn’t know what else to do with it.
Until now. I’ve made this chicken several times and it’s always a hit. It’s a quick, simple way to dress up ordinary chicken in a delicious, healthy way.
SMOKEY CARAMELIZED BALSAMIC CHICKEN
2 tablespoons I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, light or regular butter
2 teaspoons liquid smoke, divided
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 cup water
2 cloves garlic
3 – 6 ounces boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons brown sugar
salt and pepper
- In a large pan, melt butter with 1 teaspoon of the liquid smoke.
- Toss onions in and saute for a few minutes or so.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, add to pan and brown for about 10 minutes, turning once.
- Remove to a plate, add garlic and one cup water to the pan, boil for about 1 minute scraping up the browned bits.
- Return chicken to pan, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Move chicken to one side of pan (or briefly remove), and stir in brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon liquid smoke.
- Boil uncovered until slightly thickened.
- Move the chicken around in the delicious liquid to slightly caramelize on the chicken.
- Serve with flavored onions over the chicken.
Total calories = 1064
3 servings = 355 calories per chicken breast