1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups chocolate chips
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine softened butter, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla; with a mixer, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mix well.
- Pour in half of the buttermilk and another third of the dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Add remaining buttermilk and dry ingredients, beat for 1 minute at medium speed.
- Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips; pour batter into prepared pan, and sprinkle on remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes, cover with foil and bake for another 30-40 minutes, or until a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Allow loaf to cool in pan then invert.
- Serve as is or pour on Chocolate Cream Cheese Glaze.
Chocolate Loaf recipe adapted from The Baking Sheet, Summer 2009.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
4-5 oz cream cheese, softened (I used the remaining 5-oz from the 8-oz block)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
2 ounces German chocolate, melted
1-3 tablespoons milk
- Beat cream cheese and butter together for 30 seconds.
- Add cocoa, vanilla, and powdered sugar and blend until well combined; pour in melted chocolate.
- Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost loaf as desired.