I looked everywhere for hot chile paste. I have no idea what it is. I haven’t found it at my local grocery stores so when I decided to make this recipe that called for hot chile paste, I just subbed hot red pepper spread. It’s super spicy by itself but delicious in sauces. It worked. This was awesome. I’ll for sure make it again.
I’ve made several versions of Kung Pao chicken recipes but this is my favorite. I also cut WAY down on the peanuts. Kung Pao chicken is known for having a lot of peanuts in it. This recipe called for 4 oz. Well, 4 oz. of peanuts was more calories than the chicken so I decided just to put in a few. Again, it worked and it seemed fine. You are welcome to add more peanuts if you’d like. My husband ate this over rice and as usual, I chose to put it over broccoli. While it had a wonderful flavor, it wasn’t overly saucy so if you want a lot of sauce, go ahead and double the sauce. It was fine for me, I enjoyed it. The egg roll was just from Asian Sensations. I love egg rolls.
Kung Pao Chicken
1 pound boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoon white wine, divided
2 tablespoon soy sauce, divided
1 tablespoon sesame oil, divided
2 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon hot red pepper spread (or hot chile paste)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
2 teaspoon brown sugar
4 green onions
1 can water chestnuts
3 tbsp chopped peanuts
To make marinade:
- Combine 1 tablespoon wine, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon oil and 1 tablespoon cornstarch water mixture and mix together.
- Place chicken pieces in plastic bag and add marinade for about 30 minutes.
To make sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon wine, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 teaspoons oil, 1 tablespoon cornstarch/water mixture, chile paste, vinegar and sugar. Mix together.
- Add green onions, garlic, water chestnuts and peanuts. I
- n medium skillet, heat sauce slowly until aromatic.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from marinade and saute in large skillet until meat is done.
- When sauce is done, add sauteed chicken to it and let simmer together until sauce thickens.
- Serve over rice or broccoli.
Total calories = 1015
3 servings = 338 calories