3 tablespoons butter
1 pound stew meat, in 1/2 inch pieces
1 large carrot, diced
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 teaspoons minced garlic
½ teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup barley
1 cup pasta
1 cup White Grenache Wine
1-28 ounce cans Contadina crushed tomatoes
4-14 ounce cans beef broth*
salt and pepper to taste
- Over low heat melt the butter.
- Stir in carrots and saute until soft.
- Add onions and garlic sauteing until fragrant.
- Dredge beef pieces in flour.
- Add beef to pan and saute’ until beef pieces are browned.
- Add the wine and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and broth. Stir well and simmer 1 hour or more.
- Add the barley during the last hour and simmer slow.
- Add the pasta during the last 15 minutes.
*or make your own with 4 1/2 cups hot water and 3 teaspoons vegetable or beef bouillon.