This month baking partners had the choice between flourless chocolate cookies or chocolate truffle cake.
CHOCOLATE HEART OF DARKNESS CAKE by Marcel Desaulniers
8 ounce semisweet baking chocolate
3/4 cup heavy cream
- Place semi sweet chocolate in a mixing bowl.
- Heat 3/4 cup heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Pour boiling cream over the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for five minutes and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture onto a nonstick baking sheet and slightly spread it with a spatula.
- Place this in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Divide into two and roll into balls.
- Place the truffles into paper lined plates and place in the freezer.
CHOCOLATE COCOA CAKE
5 ounces butter, cut into pieces + 2 tsp melted
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
8 ounces (1 box) semi sweet baking chocolate
3 large eggs + 2 yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly coat the inside of muffin tin (3 inch diameter cups) with melted butter. Set this aside.
- In a sifter combine flour and cocoa powder. Sift and set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler or in a microwave and stir until smooth.
- Place egg, egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and beat on medium high heat with an electric mixer.
- When it is frothy add the butter chocolate mixture and beat for 15 seconds.
- Fold in the dry ingredients along with vanilla extract.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4’s with the batter and bake for about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the truffle from the freezer.
- Quickly take the muffin tray from the oven and press one truffle each to the center of the muffin.
- Immediately return the baking pan into the oven and continue baking until a toothpick inserted into the cake (not the center truffle portion but the edge of the cake) comes out clean. It will take 15-17 minutes.
- Cool in room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Run a knife around each cake to loosen it and then gently pull the baked cake out of the cup.
- Serve while still warm with whipped cream or ice cream.