This recipe originally called for okra. Not even this southern girl likes okra and the best substitution for okra is eggplant, but hubs can’t stand that so I substitute the split peas.
*1 1/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken pieces
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
1 large shallot, chopped
5 ribs celery, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 KNORR chicken gel bouillon
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup dried split peas
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons file’ powder
Fresh ground salt and black pepper, to taste
2 cups water
- Oil sides of crock pot.
- Place onions, shallots, tomatoes, garlic and celery on bottom of crock pot.
- Top with split peas and then chicken.
- Whisk together water, bouillon gel, thyme, salt, pepper and file’ powder.
- Pour over Chicken.
- Cover and cook 8-10 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high.
- Serve over rice.
*I add these frozen and they work great.
SWEET CHILE BUTTERMILK HERB DRESSING
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small shallot, minced
2 teaspoons freshly chopped chives
1 tablespoon parsley paste
1 tablespoon Frank’s Red Hot Sweet Chili Sauce
Fresh ground salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a quart jar, add all ingredients and shake to mix well.
- Chill several hours to blend flavors.
- Shake well and toss with salad.