6 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
6 broccoli crowns, washed and trimmed into 2 inch pieces (stalks also)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Jumbo eggs
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese**
salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons butter
1 1/3 cups ritz cracker crumbs**
4 tablespoons Wondra
1 KNORR chicken gel bouillon cube
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Steam broccoli and carrots until JUST tender.
- Drain well, cool slightly and toss with carrots and onions.
- Whisk together the bouillon gel, water, egg, mayonnaise and buttermilk.
- Melt butter in bottom of saucepan. Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Whisk in mayonnaise mixture, simmering until thickens.
- Pour over broccoli and carrots, folding until well coated.
- Spread into a greased 9×9 baking dish.
- Top with cracker crumbs.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes.
- Top with cheese and bake uncovered an additional 10 minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
**I love to substitute Keebler buttery garlic club crackers and use Parmesan cheese instead of cheddar!