I love a good carbonara, but this recipe is the best of both worlds with adding the cheese tortellini instead of plain spaghetti for an oomph of extra flavor.
BAKED CARBONARA TORTELLINI
4 slices bacon, diced
1 small red onion, diced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh ground salt and black pepper
1/2 + 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
16-20 ounces cheese tortellini, prepared per package
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons Wondra flour
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Spray 2 quart casserole with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Prepare tortellini per package directions and drain well.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Add onions and garlic to bacon grease and saute’ until fragrant.
- Add flour, whisking until golden.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Alternately slowly add the milk and heavy cream, constantly whisking.
- Simmer 4-5 minutes until begins to thicken.
- Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour into large mixing bowl.
- Fold tortellini into sauce.
- Pour into prepared casserole and top with remaining cheese. Salt and pepper again if you’d like.
- Bake 5 minutes or so until cheese is melted and turning golden.