I adapted this recipe from a camping cook book and it quickly became a family favorite.
HOBO CHICKEN CASSEROLE
2 cups cooled cooked white rice
4 boneless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
4 cups broccoli pieces
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
1/2 cup ranch dressing
12 ounces cheddar cheese curds
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
fresh ground salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
top with crushed crackers of choice (I like Keebler butter and Ritz mixed) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt the butter in heavy saucepan.
- Blend in flour and salt. Cook until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir or whisk in milk.
- Return to heat and cook, constantly stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Cool slightly and then whisk in ranch dressing.
- In a large mixing bowl toss together the rice, chicken pieces, green onions and broccoli pieces.
- Sprinkle with fresh ground salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Fold in cheese curds and soup mixture until well coated.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour casserole into baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes or until chicken is done.