CREAM OF CELERY SOUP adapted from The Daring Gourmet
1/4 cup butter
1 small Vidalia onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
2 cups very finely chopped organic deep green (for optimal flavor) celery
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose Wonder flour
2 cups rich chicken broth, skimmed of excess fat (I use homemade)
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup whole milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onions, celery and garlic until soft and translucent, 5 minutes or so.
- Add the flour and cook for another minute, whisking until well blended.
- Add the chicken broth milk and cream, stirring until smooth. Increase the heat and bring it to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining ingredients, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with a CADILLAC (Parmesan Roast Beef) or grilled cheese sandwich. YUMMY!!
NOTE: This recipe is roughly equivalent to two cans of prepared canned condensed cream of celery soup. You can enjoy it as a stand-alone soup with a grilled cheese sandwich or use it in any recipe calling for prepared canned condensed cream of celery soup. If using as a base for other recipes, soup will keep in the refrigerator for a few days.