12-24 HOUR SALAD
3/4 cup slivered carrots
1/3 cup chopped radishes
4 cups torn green leaf lettuce
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1 small red onion, chopped
1 can LeSeur baby peas, drained WELL
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Fontina or Swiss cheese
6-8 slices bacon, browned crisp and crumbled
- Wash and dry all produce.
- In a large salad bowl layer the carrots, radishes, lettuce, onions and peas in the order listed.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Spread the mayo mixture on top of the peas. The key here is to “SEAL” in the freshness of the lower layers by making sure the mayo mixture completely covers the fresh vegetables and seals against the edge of the bowl.
- Top with the cheeses and crumbled bacon.
- Cover tightly with saran or press and seal. You can leaves this in refrigerator for 12-24 hours and still have a crisp, fresh salad.
- Toss just before serving.
NOTE 1: You can change up the vegetables to anything you like, BUT if using cucumber or tomatoes make sure they are on the bottom so they don’t wilt your lettuce.
Other suggestions are: olives, banana peppers, artichoke hearts, snap peas, sliced celery, red, green or yellow peppers. Be sure and drain well!
NOTE 2 : If using croutons they should be on the top as the salad chills.