CARAMEL CHEESE APPLE BREAD adapted from The Cookie Rookie
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 60 minutes
2 large baking apples, peeled & diced
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup Malibu rum
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons QUALITY ground cinnamon
½ cup butter, softened + 2 tablespoons (divided)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup granulated sugar
3 LARGE eggs
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
¼ cup whole milk
8 caramels, each cut into 8 equal pieces
1-2 tablespoon Turbinado sugar (raw, coarse sugar), optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 10” x 5½” loaf pan.
- Pour rum over raisins and let soak 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the two tablespoons butter, diced apples, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cook 4-5 minutes or until apples have softened.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Drain raisins well and fold into apple mixture and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together ½ cup butter and 1-cup sugar.
- Add eggs, one-at-a-time, beating just until egg yolk is no longer visible.
- Mix in vanilla and milk.
- Add dry ingredients in one cup increments, mixing just until flour is longer visible.
CREAM CHEESE FILLING**
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
Zest of one lemon
PREPARING CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, egg, sugar and the lemon zest, mixing until smooth.
- Spread 1 cup cake batter in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Fold in the apple mixture and chopped caramels to the remaining batter.
- Pour half of the remaining batter into the pan.
- Spoon and spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the batter, and cover with the remaining cake batter.
- Sprinkle the top of the bread with Turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes. The bread is done when it no longer wiggles and springs back when gently pressed in the thickest part.
- Transfer bread to a cooling rack and cool 15 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan and allow to completely cool.
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher or coarse salt
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup chopped honey roasted peanuts, optional
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in brown sugar and cook until brown sugar melts.
- Add salt and heavy cream. Cook (and stir) another 2 minutes.
- Allow glaze to cool 5 minutes.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled bread and sprinkle with honey roasted peanuts.
**NOTE: If you are in a hurry and want to make less of a mess you can combine the cake portion and cream cheese filling portion into the same batter as you are preparing them. The results are just as delicious and less work.
LINKING TO: CELEBRATE YOUR STORY, CRAFTASTIC MONDAY, DISHING IT & DIGGING IT, NIFTY THRIFTY SUNDAY, SHOW & TELL, SUNDAYS AT HOME, SUNDAY’S BEST, THAT DIY PARTY, JCOOKING & CRAFTING WITH J&J, INPIRATION MONDAY , INSPIRE ME MONDAY , MADE BY YOU MONDAY, MAKE IT PRETTY MONDAY, MELT IN YOUR MOUTH MONDAY, MERRY MONDAY, MIX IT UP MONDAY, MOTIVATE ME MONDAY, PROJECT INSPIRED, SHOW AND SHARE, TUTORIALS & TIP, DIY TUESDAYS, LOU LOU GIRLS FABULOUS PARTY, THE SCOOP, TREASURE BOX TUESDAY, TUESDAYS AT OUR HOME, TUESDAYS WITH A TWIST, CREATIVE INSPIRATIONS, SHARE YOUR CUP , WINTER BLUES WEDNESDAY, WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY, SHOW ME WEDNESDAYS, WOW US WEDNESDAY , CREATIVE CIRCLE, DAGMAR’S PARTY, HOME SWEET HOME, FAVORITE THINGS, GRACE AT HOME, HOME MATTERS, PIN JUNKIE PIN PARTY, TALK OF THE TOWN, BLOGGER’S PIT STOP, HANDMADE HANGOUT, PRETTY PINTASTIC PARTY, SHARE IT ONE MORE TIME, SWAY SHAREFEST, WHAT TO DO WEEKENDS PARTY, BOUQUET OF TALENT PARTY, INSPIRE-BE-INSPIRED, RAE GUN BLOCK PARTY, I’M LOVIN’ IT, THIS IS HOW WE ROLL THURSDAY, FULL PLATE THURSDAY, FOODIE FRIDAY, SOUPER SUNDAY, BETH FISH READS, SATURDAY SPARKS, AMAZE ME MONDAY, INSPIRE ME TUESDAY, SHARE YOUR STYLE, OVER THE MOON